Saturday, August 29, 2009

Welcome to 4th Grade!


I said I would post once a month beginning in August, and here I am on the last Saturday of the month scrambling to get this done. The first two and one half weeks have been overwhelming to say the least. I did not realize teaching was so much work. Everyone told me that the first year of teaching is tough, but this is almost too much. On Wednesday of this week I actually hit a breaking point, but thankfully God put people in my life to keep me going just like he always does.

I called my mom that night to talk things over, and she just reminded me to stay positive and focus on what is going well. I often neglect to praise my students or give them rewards because I feel that they are not deserving; however, I must remember that neither am I of God's grace.

On Thursday someone from the district office came in to observe my students and really just reaffirmed me in my teaching abilities. I know that when Moses questioned God about sending him to speak with Pharaoh on his behalf, God did not tell Moses that he was adequate but rather said that he would be with him, but it is also important to be doing things that we are gifted at. So when she said that she could see natural teacher instincts in me and that my students really needed me, that made a world of difference in my outlook. It is one thing for someone to say that you will be fine and that you are a good teacher, but to have someone actually experience your teaching and still say those things, that is quite another.

No comments: