Monday, June 22, 2009

God loves me!

He loves me, even though I do not glorify him as I ought. He loves me, even though I desire other things more than him so much of the time. He loves me, even when I disobey his commands and forget his promises and trample his name in the dirt because of my sin. He loves me.

And the reason he loves me is because he loves me. Crazy, isn't it?

Read Deuteronomy 7:6-8. There you will see this clearly. It is one of the most amazing passages in the Bible to me. God says that he chose Israel and set his love on them, not because they were more in number than any other people, for they were the fewest of all peoples, but because the Lord loves them. Incredible!

So, no matter what I do, God loves me. And I love him in response (1 John 4). It is so simple yet so profound. I am just beginning to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ (Ephesians 3:18), and nothing can separate us from it (Romans 8:28-39)!

And this love, rather than excusing my sin, motivates me to love God in return and pour myself out in love for others (1 John 4 again).

2 comments:

Eric said...

It seems like my eyes, too, are only now being opened up to that amazing truth. I long for more!

Daniel Unekis said...

Heath Epperson, You seek God in a way that I wish to understand. My respect for you grows every time i talk to you or read into your insight and wisdom. I miss you brother. thanks for your comments on my blog, and sorry i never knew you had one.